This is a feature that will run about every two weeks with improbable stats and situations in the National Hockey League.
- … Chris Stewart, Brad Marchand and Jiri Tlusty would be in the top 21 goal scorers in the NHL and Ryan Getzlaf, Rick Nash, and Phil Kessel would not.
- … Luke Schenn would be second among Flyers defensemen in +/- and one of just three players with a positive +/- to play more than 20 games
- … in the same number of games, John Tavares would have more more points (31) than Jonathan Toews (29).
- … Thomas Hickey would play more minutes and shifts through two thirds of the season than Lubomir Vishnovsky.
- … Artem Anisimov’s 80% shootout success rate would lead the league.
- … Ben Bishop would be 3-0 in shootouts and Robin Lehner would be 0-3, both for the Senators.
- … the active leader in game winning goals, Jaromir Jagr would have just one through 27 games played.
- … Ilya Kovalchuk would have four short handed goals, four game winning goals, and just ten total.
- … in just 19 games played the leagues penalty minutes leader would be Mike Brown
- … the top five shooting percentage leaders in the NHL would be 1: Patrik Berglund 29.2% 14 goals 2: Mike Ribeiro 27.8% 10 goals 3: Chris Kunitz 26.9% 18 goals 4: Alex Tanguay 26.5% 9 goals 5: Brad Marchand 26% 13 goals
- … having fired their general manager at the start of the season and made no significant trades, the Toronto Maple Leafs would be tied for sixth place with more ROW than any team below them and even or less games played than any team within five points.
- … that in less games, the New York Islanders would have scored more goals than the Philadelphia Flyers.
- … the Tampa Bay Lightning who are second in goal per game would have only one player with more than ten goals.
- … half of the top ten powerplays in the NHL would belong to teams currently out of playoff position; Capitals, Islanders, Oilers, Flyers, and Flames.
- … with at least 27 games played, the Canucks, Flames, Lightning, Canadiens, Penguins, and Wild would all have failed to score a 4 on 5 goal.
- … each having played 28 games only the Oilers and Ducks would not have a 4 on 4 goal.
- … the Northwest division would be separated by the least points with just ten between the division leading Minnesota Wild and the fifth place Colorado Avalanche.
- … six of the top ten shot blocking teams would be out of the playoffs: Colorado, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Edmonton, Nashville, and Phoenix.
- … the only two teams without a regulation loss in their last ten games would be the Columbus Blue Jackets (7-0-3) and the Pittsburgh Penguins (10-0-0)
- … eleven teams would have a double digit negative goal differential while just eight have positive double digit differentials.
How much of this would you have believed in if I told you in September?