The owners reported first offer to the NHLPA has been covered in depth both here and elsewhere. Donald Fehr is known to be a firebrand. The possibilities for his response are nearly limitless. Depending on what level they want to respond to the ownership positions there are a bunch of things that could be included with an equal degree of feasibility. I’ll skip the logical middle ground for now and go into that later on.
Possible positions the NHLPA can respond with that are on an equal level to the owners proposals:
- Pay at the daily breakdown rate of their salary during the playoffs.
- Minimum NHL game and minute counts on entry level contracts for retention of the player as an RFA.
- No entry level contract for undrafted players
- Same pay at NHL, AHL and ECHL for entry level contracts
- No confidence voting for NHL officials where a simple majority would mean the dismissal of said official (from linesman to announcer to commissioner)
- Paid transportation to and from home for all players going to official team events
- 100% pay for buyouts
- Teams dressing less than the 18 skaters and 2 goaltenders each game would have to give each player in their system, regardless of the level they are assigned to, a bonus equivalent to 1 days pay at the NHL level.
- Unrestricted right to use team and league logos, names and imagery when endorsing other products.