Welcome ladies, gentlemen, and hockey fans across the world! By special request, a new drinking game for the trade deadline.
To properly prepare for this you should have three beverages to work with, a stomach pump reserved, and enough paid time off for Monday and Tuesday at least. I recommend a light, dark, and medium colored liquid.
Every third time you drink, you should switch drinks. Puck Sage, the NHL, various news outlets, and your
alcohol beverage vendors take no responsibility for your actions.
Take Three Drinks:
- Every-time someone is rumored to go back to where they played college or junior.
- Someone is traded to a former team
- A general manager is heard to say this is a good trade for both sides.
- Someone mentions the salary cap.
- A coach or GM says they look forward to having someone join the team.
- There are more players you don’t recognize in a trade than ones you do.
- Potential playoff matchups are mentioned.
- Off season coaching and or management moves are hinted at for a team involved in a trade.
- How much time is left until the deadline is mentioned.
Take Two Drinks:
- Whenever the phrase “add depth” is used.
- Someone talks about how a player found out they were traded.
- The number of trades made at this years deadline is mentioned.
- Line/paring combinations are mentioned before a newly acquired player leaves their former home city.
- The draft position of a player involved in a trade is mentioned
- Someone mentions a coach having to make roster decisions.
- A player previously traded at the deadline gets traded.
- The highlight reel for a player being interviewed shows a player in a uniform other than the team they were just traded from.
- Someone is called more than just a rental.
- Someone compares the current volume of trades to last years number.
Take One Drink:
- Anytime a player is reunited with a former teammate or coach.
- A player uses the word exciting.
- A general manager mentions how long they’d discussed a deal before it happens.
- The number of draft picks exceeds the number of players.
- Someone says a team is stockpiling
- A graphic is used to explain anything.
- A media person calls a trade big.
- Someone says “hockey IQ” or “hockey sense”.
- Any NHL award is mentioned.
- A placeholder picture for a player calling into a deadline show has the player already in the uniform of their new team.
- Yandle, Eriksson, Boedker, Drouin, Staal, Russell, Bickell, Yakapov or other players expected to move are mentioned.
- Salary retention is speculated about or explained.
Experts will remember to print this out and get it laminated so that any unfortunate fluids won’t mar your ability to rally and continue.